Sunday, September 16, 2012

Adventures in the Kitchen - Paleo Recipe Reviews and Housework :)

Yesterday was a whirlwind for me. Very productive in the kitchen arena but not so much in the crocheting arena. Here was the line up:

Breakfast - My own Egg Bake Recipe

I then prepped a 4 lb chicken with veggies for the crock pot and let it sit on low for a few hours while doing the laundry and picking up around the house.

I had received some sweet potato sticks from a co-worker on Friday who, much to her chagrin had thought she was getting carrots :) lol - oh dear.. I'm sure she was a wee bit tired when she grabbed them, but I told her I'd take them off her hands and make them into Sweet Potato Fries.  I followed a Paleo Recipe I found online for the fries though I didn't have parchment paper :) and soaked the sweet potatoes for about 40 minutes and then put them in the oven like the instructions said... I really  wanted to try my hand at making home made mayo and having those with the chicken and fries so... out with the hand blender :)

DUDE - do yourself a favor and READ the directions TWICE for recipes. I cannot tell you how many times I read the recipes, and was so excited to try them that I skimmed over the parts after the list of ingredients :).  Save yourself the time and effort to slow... down :). The Paleo Mayo took more than 10 minutes... I only started to time myself when I realized the emulsification was not happening for the oils and I might be standing there all day hoping for something to magically take place. I finally decided since I had used 1/2 c coconut oil and 1/2 cup bacon grease that I had melted to pour that I would be doing myself a favor to try and freeze it. Time was running out and the fries were just about done. (!) :)

Long story short about the mayo, the freezer worked its magic, I put in the 3 T lemon juice (too much) and added some Sea Salt (too much) so the batch might go to the birds ;). But I will try it again until the taste is to our liking. I've been saving the bacon grease every time we make bacon so mayo is a perfect use for it :)

Waste not want not, no? :)

Chicken and fries done - check. Egg bake leftovers put away and pan ready to use for Paleo Meatloaf -check.

Swap out laundry (again :)) and after Paleo Meatloaf was in the oven I sat down to pay a few bills with coffee in hand. LOL

Bills done, laundry fluffed and hung up - onto mixing up the batter for Vanilla Coconut Flour Cookies ~ Sugar and Grain Free  :)

***BING*** Meatloaf's ready :)

Paleo Meatloaf was a great recipe - easy to throw together, put in the oven and off to the next thing for an hour and a half. I will say my family isn't partial to red peppers and we had zucchini laying around (yay! :)) so  I swapped those ingredients out and LOVED it ! :)

mmm - meatloaf :) 


The Vanilla Coconut Flour Cookies batter was very dense and the cookies even more so... though somehow they were also spongy :). Since the family liked them I will probably make them again and experiment with the ingredients until i get the right consistency.

After serving up the cookies I also had an idea that since the cookies very much remind me of cupcakes they would do well with frosting :)... I don't have the ingredients on hand for a cream cheese frosting ( requested by the mister :)) but I will be venturing to the grocery today for some just to have the cookies ready for the Redskins game today :).



And... the mister said that they would make a really good cookie sandwich with the frosting - clearly we were on the same wavelength here since I had not mentioned frosting out loud yet :).

I did manage to finish some parts of my crochet pattern  for the Rabbit of U900 and feel pretty confident I could finish the crocheting part today once I have my errands ran and can sit and focus.

Lastly though by the end of yesterday I was very tired... I could not fall asleep because I was excited about the ideas I (finally) have for my bright red yarn! :D I have a bunch that was passed onto me and its so bright and vintage and there's so much of it...  what could I possibly do with it? I have a friend who is originally from Japan and came over when she was 18 not knowing English but has stayed in the US, learned English and is very much in love with her Japanese culture and wants to pass on the traditions, etc to her children. A light bulb went on that she may appreciate a throw blanket that is very similar to the Japanese flag only in granny square form. I will share pictures as I work it up when the time comes but I am too excited not to share the idea at least. :)

I hope you are enjoying the day! I know I am! :) Be blessed and thank you for reading!

NOTE: A great place to find the recipes I mentioned above all in one place is on my pinterest board for Paleo Style Eating - Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are the best! Please feel free to say hello and join the conversation. :) I always love hearing from old, new and familiar faces ;)
♥ Dawn

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...