For the past month or so I've been on a Paleo/Low Carb/Caveman way of eating kick. And I love it! I love what it's been doing for my body and my mind! I appreciate how I'm not ridiculously hungry once hunger comes around and that my energy is pretty much a constant (I'm not up and down from sugar highs and lows). Of course with this new way of eating I'm experimenting in the kitchen and I rustled up this twist on an egg bake.
- Bacon grease to grease pan with
- 16 oz regular breakfast sausage
- 1 red pepper (diced)
- 1 sweet Spanish onion (chopped)
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/3 c heavy whipping cream
- 12 eggs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 1/2 tsp adobo sauce
- 1 jalapeno minced (optional)
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 4 cups shredded cheese
1) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
2) Grease a 9" x 13" pan with bacon grease and set aside.
3) Add sausage, red pepper, onion, garlic and jalapeno to a stove top pan. Cover mixture and let simmer until vegetables are tender.
4) As the vegetables and sausage are simmering, in a separate bowl mix together the eggs and spices, mix well. Add the heavy whipping cream and mix just until blended.
5) Once the sausage is browned and veggies are tender - add them to the 9" x 13" pan by spoonfuls making sure to spread the mixture out evenly.
6) Pour the egg and cream mixture on top of the sausage and veggies. Use a spatula to even out the mixture through out.
7) Sprinkle the cheese on top, using a spatula push the cheese down just until the egg mixture covers the top of the cheese.
8) Bake for 40 - 45 minutes or until the top is browning.
I hope you like it! :) It has a peppery kick to it that I really like! The red pepper and yellow Spanish onion help balance the flavors. I'm sure you could exchange the red pepper for a green one and a yellow onion for a white one and still have a flavorful egg bake.
Happy baking! :)