Saturday, April 28, 2012

Fast and Furious Lacy Scarf - with FREE Pattern

I like to knit through the back loop when knitting. This is something I discovered I did when I'd try a pattern and end up making the finished item much too tight. I knit continental (vs. english style) too for what its worth :). At any rate I recently tried out a pattern and while working up the pattern wondered to myself if this scarf would turn out quite different from the photos of other scarves I've seen using this stitch or not. I'm 3/4 of the way done with the scarf and realize knitting through the back loop only makes all the difference and am now able to share the pattern with you because of my knitting laziness lol :). 

The scarf works up quickly, so keep this pattern in your back pocket if you need to make a last minute gift for someone!

The stitch is worked in multiples of two. For this specific scarf I casted on 26 stitches and worked it until I almost ran out of yarn (leaving enough to FO and weave in the ends).

What you will need:

-         Any size needles you want to use
-         As much yarn as you want to use up! :)

Gauge does not matter – this pattern is meant to be fun – go wild! :)

Worked in Multiples of 2 – cast on an even number of stitches and remember to WORK THROUGH BACK LOOP ONLY (tblo) for all stitches. Also, abbreviation YO equates to Yarn Over.


          Row 1: K1(tblo), *YO, K2tog (tblo)* repeat to end, K1(tblo).


Repeat this row over and over again until you’ve reached the desired length and bind off.

Once you get going, if you have any issues I recorded this video to help you out. Please feel free to leave a comment if you have any issues though. I'm here to help!




Voila! There you have it! I hope you and your friends enjoy! :) Would love to see your finished designs! I’m on ravelry too as Cranberrry if you would like to share!


Please NOTE: 
This pattern is Copyright to Lostsentiments. 
You have permission to sell the finished item rom this pattern but rewriting, reselling, distributing or copying the pattern itself is prohibited. 
Please include a link back to my etsy shop or blog in all sales/listings of items. 
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

22 comments:

  1. I love this pattern! I have so much handspun of many yarns and colors that I can see easily using up different ones for a multitude of gifts without having to hit up the handspun already designated for bigger projects. Thank you thank you thank you!
    Linda W.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe you bet Linda! :) Thank you so much for your comment! ^_^ Glad to hear the pattern will be put to good use! :) This is definitely one of those patterns that if you get used to the hand motion, you can watch tv or chat easily with a friend and not have to look at your work the whole time! :) Good stuff! ;) Happy Crafting! :) ~Dawn

      Delete
  2. Hi Dawn, so when you say multiples of 2 does that mean knitting 2 together? Can I also ask what size needles are you using? I have never tried knitting through the back loops. That looks really interesting.

    I also have some yarn that is very similar to yours. It's some type of lion brand that I picked up at the swap meet that didn't have a label on it but I have investigated the yarn at one of the shops here where I live.

    Thanks and take care,

    Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie,

      Work in multiples of two means that you can start by casting on any even number of stitches (18, 28, or 32 for example) and this pattern will work for you! :) But if you cast on an odd number of stitches (11, 15, 23, etc.) it won't work for this pattern. I used size 10 needles for this scarf. I hope this information helps!

      That's great to hear about your yarn! :) Sounds like a treasure hunt investigating the type of fiber/brand it is! Who ever said crafting isn't fun must not have tried a craft with yarn ;).

      Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!
      I appreciate it! :) Happy Crafting! ~Dawn

      Delete
  3. Hi Dawn! I love this pattern, but was wondering what size yarn you used. I've got lots of left overs and was wondering what you used for this project. Thanks for your help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie! Thank you so much for your comment! :) I hope you can use your leftover yarn and make some scarves! :) I'd say the yarn I used was in between a sport or worsted weight. I hope that helps! Happy knitting! :) ~Dawn

      Delete
  4. I absolutely LOVE this scarf! This is what I am using as my very first knitting project and I love that you have instant grarification seeing your success as you go along. The instructions are easy to follow and I just love this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awe Tori thank you so much for your comment! :) I'm so glad you found the pattern! :) Thanks again and happy knitting! ~Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  6. As far as the scarf , you do the yo k2 together for every row? No knit row between?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kathy, Repeat Row 1 over and over, there is not a knit row in between. Thank you for asking!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a really new knitter but am anxious to try this pattern. Question about binding off - do I bind off the stitches in pairs or one at a time??? Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries! Bind off each stitch one at a time. Have fun!

      Delete
  9. Hi you commented on leaving enough yarn to FO. What does that mean. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jean,

      FO means fasten off. Be sure to leave enough thread to fasten off and weave in ends.

      Delete
  10. Do I repeat the entire row or just between the astericks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine, repeat the entire row to make up the body of the scarf.

      Delete
  11. Thank you so much for the video on You Tube of a yo k2 tog tbl. And it was even in the continental method of knitting. That combination of yo was very hard to find and I had almost given up. I feel so much more secure about knitting the baby hat, Dale Garn Book 277 pattern 27701. The baby layette uses this combination often and knitting with size 2 needles you don't want to have to rip out.
    I also loved that you were quick to show the method on your video. You should make more videos! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa! Your comment is so heartwarming! Wouldn't you know it, about the time you wrote this, I was in labor with my now 17 month old son! My life has changed so much since he arrived and all my projects have been pushed aside but I'm slowly coming back around! :) I pulled out my yarn stash today and my little guy did well to unravel as much as he could of the scrap yarn I have! lol My sincerest thank you for your encouragement to make more videos! I'd love to do that! Can I have more hours in the day though please ?? <3 Thanks again!

      Delete
  12. Never knitted through the back so I am anxious to try. Thanks for the video and since I am a left handed knitter I hope I can figure it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Sue Anna! I hope you were able to bring this project to fruition! Thank you for your comment!

      Delete
  13. I loved finding this pattern. As a child, my aunt taught me to knit. I learned continental style, into back of stitches. I also wrapped (picked)the opposite way most people do. I was a fast knitter, and it was easy to switch back & forth with crochet. I became a good problem-solver: anyone I asked for help would say "you can't knit that way." I used books and trial and error. My first knitting was a strip of feather-and-fan lace which became part of my aunt's WIP. She didn't believe in wasting time. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucile! Thank you for sharing a bit of your story! I enjoyed reading a little bit of your history and it seems we are kindred spirits! I love to knit & crochet quickly, I feel it redeems the time! I revel in being productive! Thanks again!

      Delete

Comments are the best! Please feel free to say hello and join the conversation. :) I always love hearing from old, new and familiar faces ;)
♥ Dawn

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...